A Travellerspoint blog

Thursday, 6th of March 2008

Pokhara, our last day here.

sunny 25 °C

Thursday, 6th of March, 2008.
Pokhara, Our last day.

The gods are crying with us. Our last day in Pokhara and the weather is rainy, overcast, more rain on its way.
Slept until 10:00 and then it was time to start packing. We managed to get everything in our bags, later in Kathmandu the final repack.
Wonder if we have overweight!

We went to Lake-Side for the last pictures, but they were not ready yet.
Arranged at Mamma Mia that at 18:00 we will be there with 30 persons, pre-ordered the pizza’s for the children, so they don’t have to wait too long tonight.
Brunch at TeaTime after we updated the travelblog.

We paid the hotel bill: 16.000 Rs (about 165 Euro) for 21 nights, our coffee service AND laundry!
No question about it where to stay next time in Pokhara: Mountain Villa Penthouse.

To Pashpathi to pay Chitwan: 12,800 Rs (± 150 Euro) for 2 persons 3 nights Royal Park Hotel, fullboard, transfers and park-activities included.

Finally on our way to the home.
Helping again with some homework. Mina came with a surprise: on a school board was written:
Sudeep’ Soul:
You all be gone very soon
And you all be miles apart,
But memories of yesterday
Will be in my heart.
Don’t do what u tell,
But do what your heart tell.

It made me swallow, thinking by myself not to listen too much to only my heart today, using my brain instead
Time to go, no extra passengers allowed.

We played on the roof with Sofia, Mamatha, Raju and Bimal. Kung Fu fighting, tickling.
Sofia got my camera and became our reporter of the day.

Shiba, who used to lie in the home and is now living with this stepmother, came to take us to his room.
There he showed us his paintings and a brochure of an exhibition he was also participating in.
He is member of the Art Society in Pokhara.
Two framed pictures on the wall were a gift for us he said, but we excepted on one, without the frame.
Then we had to choose a few other pictures to take with us, he insisted. We left his room with 2 paintings each and one big one. How to get them home undamaged?

Together walking back Shiba told us he went to live with his stephmother after she had an heart operation. He is taking care of her now; in the meantime going to university to study management.

At the home the children were jumpy, very busy, so we told them we were going to get our photos and they had to be ready at 17.30 sharp!
And, for once, they were. Already line waiting for us.

Marching this line to Mamma Mia.
A long line of tables was waiting for us. A few kids got hold of our cameras, so we will end up with 100 pictures or more only from the pizza-evening!

Raju was very creative with the camera: trying to make a picture of himself in the mirror. Also we found a picture the banana-chocolate crepe, which was the desert.

The ordered chicken-chilli pizza was far too spicy. We made the staff just to put any kind of pizza that was ready on the tables, so every one could take a piece. There was a moment that I thought we should cancel some of the ordered pizza’s, but then the waiter said the last ones were on the table.
Can’t believe how much they can eat!!

When the crepes with banana and chocolate came, their party was perfect!

Bipana, the little one, did not eat much of the pizza, most probably it was the first one in her life (like the ice-cream), but it was a treat to see her with the chocolate pancake! Again, she ended up with chocolate every where. Boy, did she love it!

Also Binod did not want me to help him cut his pancake. He torn off a little piece, smeared it through the chocolate and sucked on it for ages. Thinking nobody was watching, he licked the plate spotless (chocolateless) clean.

And still more to come: Pashpathi had bought sugarcanes for all of them to celebrate Shiva Ratri.
Pashpathi was great with the children. Walking around, talking with every one of them. Came to Binod, said to us that he was such a great singer and got Binod singing a Nepali song for us.
Then I mentioned that Bimal, sitting on the other side next to me, also was a good singer. Pashpathi begged him to sing also, intense listening to Bimal. Such a sweet, soft, clear voice this boy has.
Pasphathi asked me whispering if I knew the background of Binod and Bimal. I nodded yes.
Very pleased I was that he knew so much of the children, how involved and caring/loving he was.

Following Pashpathi to H.E., where he handed over the sugarcanes. Dhanyabad Uncle we heard 19 times.
Marching to the Visha-temple, trying not to get hit by the long sugarcanes the children were holding.

The temple-side was worrying, a big fire in which the children put the sugarcanes. Heated up, they took them out the fire and slammed them as hard as possible on the ground. A big bang followed with sheering, clapping hands.
Gurash and I busy trying to spot where our kids were. Pitch dar, except from the fire.

Big and small Mamatha went around the temple, praying, a few times.
After a while it was time to gather them together, bringing the home.
Everybody chewing the broken sugarcanes, it’s sweet juice that you can suck from the wood.

Receiving more and more drawings, then called upstairs to see Auntie and Uncle.
A little ritual: Gangka taking my hand, Omito’s mother taking Gurash’ hand, squeezing, forcing the traditional bracelets on our wrists. We both ended up with several broken bracelets and blood on our knuckles from forcing the bracelets on.
Next Gangka put some selfmade necklaces around our necks, made from very small beats, beautifull.
A tika, a giant hug, a bag, a shirt, wet eyes.
Time to go now.

One of the girls said we had to stay for dancing, but we really needed to go, no more stalling, just run away.

Coming downstairs all the boys were standing in line with flowers. More hugs, ‘write me’, ‘don’t forget me’, kisses, bye byes.

Gangka, Omito’s mother and Sudeep walked with us until the temple. One more time a big squeeg hug, kisses all over and walking away.
We stopped at H.E. but we could not see Pashpathi. Up to our room.
Exhausted straight to bed, sleeping with 48 arms around me.

Posted by Sanghita 05:31 Archived in Nepal

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint